Friday, February 21, 2014

A New Window


I left Manhattan. I set a deadline for myself and when the time came, I walked away. Well, technically, I was driven away, huddled in a chilly heap at the edge of my mattress in the back of a van with the stupid knotted stomach I always have whenever I’m stuck in a car. Most of me was ready to leave, stoked, I'd even say, but a significant enough part of me was apparently not, as evidenced by the fact that I threw 80% of my belongings haphazardly into boxes in the last few days.

The world seemed like it could have been a touch more cooperative on the big day, what with wet snow falling steadily from the time we started loading the van to the time we pulled off the slushy highway more than two hours later. It was a safe journey, so maybe I have it all wrong and the world was actually quite kind to my needs that day. All I know for sure is that I annoyed the hell out of the people who stuck by me to pack at the eleventh hour. Not my proudest moment that was. Maybe we can laugh about it in say, another twenty years. Or, never. That’s a good possibility, too.

Right now, I’m trying to figure out what’s best for me. This thing called life isn’t supposed to be hard or unhappy, but that’s what it’s felt like, which is what prompted this move. They say that everything is a choice, from the way you feel, the way you manage your feelings, down to the very essence of who you are. I can see the truth in that. I just have one question: what happens when you aren’t sure which choice is meant for you?

6 comments:

  1. We couldn't agree more!
    And we wish you a truly wonderful weekend:

    http://lasagnolove.blogspot.de/2014/02/have-wonderful-weekend.html

    Love from Germany,

    Birdy and Bambi (two other girls trying to figure it all out)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about life and happiness. I say when you aren't sure what choice to make, pick one and go with it. You'll know if it doesn't feel right or you just don't like it. Then pick a different one. I think too often people are scared of change and what others will think. I've felt that way before. Then I did it, I left the "city" life and after two years was ready to move back. I hope you find what you're searching for and life gets easier & happier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia, I'm a little late on this one, but wanted to wish you the best with your move and your new life. I know when I left New York, I felt ready in some ways and not-ready in others. If you made a decision to leave, then that decision is right for you at that moment. New York is exciting, but it's also very hard and I can understand why you'd want to get away from that. Just trust the instincts that led you to that decision and don't second guess yourself. It'll all work out. And if you change your mind later, you can always come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your note, Michelle. I hope that you and your business are doing well. I bet Montreal is prettier than New York in the winter, too. :)

      Delete