Monday, July 07, 2014

A Little Greenery


Can someone explain the mechanics of installing a hook in the ceiling from which to hang a potted plant? How does one tell where to safely install the hook? In particular, how can Julia be sure to avoid tearing a hole in her rental apartment's ceiling? She does not ever want to exchange text messages with her landlord about a ceiling damaged by her own hand. These are the times I need a Bob Villa in my life.

Beautiful, leafy, dreamy, hanging plant project on hold for reasons mentioned above, I've taken to the pretty little succulents that have been popping up everywhere. They're cute in their tiny-ness and look hearty enough to possibly survive my being their mom. So off I went to bring home a cute family of succulents. But every one I picked up, be it at a bodega, nursery, or Trader Joe's, a leaf would be broken or there'd be a funny-looking bruise like someone had accidentally squished the tip of it. Alas, I'd walk out of the store succulent-less, but usually with a pint of ice cream in hand. You know, because ice cream tastes good in times of sadness. And joy. It's an all-occasion food, really.

I know what you're thinking: It's a plant! It will heal itself! But truth be told, this kind of thing bothers me. It just does. I've become much less neurotic (I think the kinder word choice here might be particular, ahem) over the years, but every now and again, I pull one of these nutty numbers. 

And then my sister showed up with a ton of a heck of a lot of them, potted in fresh soil and all. I hope they stay alive. My track record with plants is kind of spotty, but I want to change that!

0 burbles:

Post a Comment