Monday, April 19, 2010

Whimsy In Wood

My adoration for jigsaw puzzles is no secret so you shouldn't find my excitement unusual when I say "LOOKIE, LOOKIE, LOOKIE!"


Did your heart stop just a tiny smidgeon of a second like mine did at the sight of this fabulousness?

This isn't just any old puzzle.  It's a gorgeous wooden one in replica form of a Trey Speegle {+} print.  I'm so blown away by it that I'm jealous...Of myself...For receiving it.  Me making no sense, ya?  It's just that beautiful.

In one word, it's breathtaking.  Each hue's more intense than I've ever seen in cheap mass-produced cardboard puzzles.  My heart swooning doesn't stop with the colors.  Look at the individual pieces themselves.  I do declare that they are the sweetest most darling things I ever did see.  There are dancers, butterflies, snowflakes, circus performers, birds, all sorts of whimsical cutouts.  Do you see the LADY walking her POODLE by the LAMPPOST?  Darling!


I haven't the faintest idea of the process behind making a wooden jigsaw puzzle, but I have a hunch it involves some form of laser burning; the technique produces magnificently intricate silhouette forms and the puzzle has the smoky scent of a fireplace.  Forget assembling the puzzle - I can spend an entire morning just admiring the beautiful individual pieces themselves.  I prefer to flip them around back side up like the little child piece I'm holding up in the first photo.  Something about the natural wood with the darker burnt edges is just lovely.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen a puzzle like this before: it's really lovely and looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so precious! You are a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete