Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Good New York Summer Night

Even though I don't own a raincoat or galoshes, this scene says so much about how I've been feeling that for a little inspiration, I made it my desktop background today.


Because I lead an impossibly exhilarating life in the big city, that was the highlight of my day.  Really.  I kept staring at it and staring at it some more until I got hungry and started making dinner.  As I was reading the label on a can of cannelini beans, my phone received a text.  Would Julia be interested in seeing American Ballet Theater's production of Swan Lake this evening at the Met?  I dropped those beans and headed for the door so fast it's a miracle that can didn't land on my bare feet.

Lincoln Center on a summer night is one of those awesome trademark I-love-living-in-New-York experiences.  When you surface from your venue after the show, the warm breeze outside greets you soothingly.  The scene of gathered people, showgoers and locals alike, chilling by the lit fountain is remarkably calming.  The fountain sound, the low din of voices, and the soft moonlight together breed a serenity unknown to my New York.  Maybe I was still high off my luck of enjoying a live ballet performance instead of finishing the documentary Man On Wire at home tonight.  I don't know what it was, but now I want to sit outside Lincoln Center every night.  If only I lived in the neighborhood.

I leisurely made my way home on foot.  Sauntering through Times Square, I smiled at the colorful collage of lights glowing around us. I passed by many crowds patiently gathered behind stage exit gates.  At first, I didn't understand but then I did.  Broadway shows had just let out and the fans were waiting to catch a glimpse of their favorite stars as they left the theater.  Maybe they'd get an autograph or a picture before the stars stepped into their big chauffeured black SUVs.  One of the most hyper crowds was the one gathered behind the theater for Promises, Promises {+}.  The people love their Sean Hayes (Jack of Will & Grace).

Tonight's ballet made it a good good night.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a perfect evening! Wooden puzzles and impromptu invites to the ballet - you are a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't I know it?! ;)

    Undeserving is more like it.

    ReplyDelete