Friday, September 24, 2010

An Inconvenience

No matter who's sitting in the White House and what he's doing or how he's representing my country, I try to keep it real when it comes to how much I like or hate or am indifferent to the current state of affairs.  The President is the President, the representative of our nation to the rest of the world and to that effect, I must, you know, RECOGNIZE, and be respectful.

So when Barack comes into town - holy crap - parts of this city that supposedly never die completely shut down.  Police and security cordon off blocks and blocks around the general vicinity of where Mr. President is headed.  I was overlooking Central Park West this evening when a long parade of blinking lights made its way north.  I figured it was Barack's entourage. But no.  It couldn't be because the parade lasted forEVER.  A little while later, when the streets were still empty save for more sparkling black SUVs and sedans with black-tinted windows, I walked down CPW only to learn that they had shut it down and that until Barack finished his dinner, we couldn't walk through Central Park from the west entrances or down south unless we wanted to detour a few avenues west.  A few avenues west?  Do you know how long those avenues are?  Each avenue's like ten regular numbered streets.  Ok, maybe like five.  It's long.  The uniformed men told me that all the U.N. reps and their vehicles were traveling down this secure road so it could be a long while.  I gave them my stink eye and looked at them shadily.  What are the chances that ALL the representatives of the United Nations would convene in some location other than on the actual grounds of the United Nations?  You know, the one all the way across town on the East side?  Apparently not too slim.


So basically, this is just me complaining.  All I'm saying is that traffic was a horrid mess and all of New York's finest are busy with traffic duty.

BUT.

I really admire and adore and respect the U.N. and their mission.  So it's all good.  Plus, I should be nice and accommodating to the President of our country.

0 burbles:

Post a Comment