Sunday, August 21, 2011

Giada's Double Chocolate And Espresso Cookies


It turns out that Dutch processed cocoa powder and unsweetened cocoa powder are quite different.  Unsweetened (or natural) reacts with baking powder, a critical component to the success of what comes out of your oven.  I needed Dutch (or processed), but my cupboard only had natural.  So out went my weekend plans for an icebox cake with homemade cookies and in came my first batch of Giada's double chocolate and espresso cookies {+}.  You should know that this dough is a little on the watery side.  I think this might be why these cookies are puffier, softer, and chewier than your typical cookie.

A few adjustments that I made:
   (1) Passed on the hot water bath.  My microwave's defrost feature worked just fine.
   (2) Cut down the sugar to 2/3 cup instead of 3/4.  After tasting, 1/2 cup would have been plenty.
   (3) Scooped heaping single tablespoonfuls of cookie dough.  1/4 cupfuls would have been too big.

(Note: This recipe creates a bajillion dirty dishes.)

Now that I've spent my Sunday baking, it's time to make the most out of these last few hours of the weekend...watching my shows.  Oh, look.  It just started pouring outside!  Makes me feel better about spending my day indoors.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julia! I did watch Martin actually! But I have a friend who calls me Sha-nae-nae hence the blog name :)

    BTW those cookies look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete