Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Venerable Acrostic

I have a summer sickness that makes me peep out into the hallway on Saturday mornings before I even pee or brush my teeth or get the crusty sleep out of my eyes.  It's called The New York Times Magazine.  I mentioned it in June {+}, but since then, I have fallen even more head over heels in ♡♡♡ (read: love, love, love) with acrostics.  I know some people complete these bad boys in under something crazy like fifteen minutes, but I don't care if it takes me all morning.  I find it terribly satisfying when I solve one in a single sitting.  Really, it makes me much more giddy than it should.

This week's solution reads:

              Animals that adapted to land did so through the trick of taking their former environment with them.
              No matter how high and dry the mountain top, no matter how secluded and modern the retreat,
              we sweat and cry seawater.

Lyn Margulis, Microcosmos

All these smart people - they produce the cleverest of observations.  I ♡♡♡.


I should be better about actively keeping my mind engaged.  I take longer to process information and read more slowly than ever before.  Generally speaking, my pace is not what it once was.  I relearn chess every few years or so whenever somebody has a board.  Sadly, I don't enjoy the game (hence the need to re-learn the rules every single time - not much sticks in the old noggin when I'm disinterested).  This was the set on which I played last summer in Peru.  We played every day, for hours sometimes, and yet, I'm still not sold.  The only things I found remotely interesting were the aesthetics of this particular set.  The Incans vs. Spaniards, an integral part of Peru's history, was everywhere in Lima.

0 burbles:

Post a Comment