Sighted: Ban Ki Moon
Ban Ki Moon and his mini motorcade of black sedans just drove right by me.
He looks like such a kind man, even when I'm standing obnoxiously a few feet into the street past the curb. It was one of those rare moments in the city when myself and only one other pedestrian were waiting for the light. I was an arm's reach away from opening the door to his side of the car to say "Yo, what up?!" before his driver had the chance to release the brake and turn the corner.
But I was too slow. And chicken.
It's so funny how, once I processed who he was, my initial reaction was to bow. I have absolutely no interaction with Korean people anymore, especially elders. Funny how it's so deeply ingrained even after all these years.
Ban Ki Moon, y'all. Ban Ki Moon! This beats Paul McCartney tenfold.
kickass
ReplyDeleteWhoa, celebrity sighting for sure. I totally know what you mean about the ingrained response that comes about when in the presence of a Korean elder. The Kims who own the shoe repair shop just a couple blocks away from my apartment are the only Korean people I see on a fairly regular basis, and not because I am always getting my shoes repaired! Every time I pass by I look to see if they are busy with customers and if they are not I stop in to say hello and see how they are doing, all in my terrible Korean. It's kind of comforting to know that the Koreanness in my soul will always be there regardless of how distant I am from any real Korean community. I do miss being around other Korean-Americans though. I can't lie. There are some things that fellow KA's get immediately because of the cultural bond. Amirite? :)
ReplyDeleteYou rite. You rite.
Delete