Could I?
I could. Quite. Yes, I think I could.
You see, I go through long periods without meat. It's never deliberate and I only ever notice in hindsight. It's more a symptom of cooking for one than anything else. Since I take most of my meals solo, I actually engage in the dainty act of stuffing my face with whatever hodge podge of foods that happen to be around at feeding time (it's really a rather disgraceful habit). When I do prepare meat, part of it almost always ends up lost in the detritus of the icebox until it gets so much freezer burn that it's no longer edible. If it weren't so awkward, I'd shake my finger at myself for my wasteful ways.
Years ago, I used to get mad cravings for hearty burgers. I'm convinced that my body was telling me that it needed a good, solid dose of protein. It's been years since those cravings. As much as I enjoy them, I don't even remember the last time I even had a burger.
Which brings me to admit that my taste buds today prefer non-meat foods more often than not. Like tonight, I wanted these super simple Korean dishes. I set the rice, sauteed some Korean squash, patted some tofu with sauce, and split a couple sheets of gim (those toasted seaweed sheets that every Korean kid grew up with). It was a decent, hot dinner that made me wonder how my mind and body might respond if I were to formally cut out meat.
I was meatless for a while. Like you, meat never plays a significant part in my meals but I would get chicken or whatever whenever I ate out. After reading Eating Animals I stopped eating meat for nearly a year. Also, that book took me a few months to read because it was very, ehm, informative. I would sometimes catch my reflection on the subway while reading this book and see the horrified look on my face. It's definitely a good read but if you decide to read it be prepared...
ReplyDeleteFood, Inc. was the last film I saw about the country's food movement and that certainly did a number on me. I might be brave enough to try Eating Animals at some point. Sounds like it'll really scare me out of my skin. Eesh.
ReplyDelete