"Love" At The 2007 US Open
How can you not appreciate a game that scores with "love?"
I had the most delightful unexpected opportunity to attend the US Open today. Let me tell ya': the US Open sure beats those lame and slow amateur high school matches. With 123 mph serves, carefully calculated ball placements, and fancy racket techniques, watching live sets of a quarterfinal game between the 10th (Haas) and 4th (Davydenko) ranked best male players in the world is an unforgettable experience. I caught the second half of the women's singles quarterfinal where Svetlana Kuznetsova took Agnes Szavay out of the running, after which the intense men's singles began...
That German Tommy Haas? What a childish fool. Tantrums aren't even cute on a 2-year-old: they're no less cute when you're 29. I tore myself away from the match in the middle of the third set to avoid the evening rush and checked online later to learn that Nikolay Davydenko (who didn't throw his racket even once when I was there) beat Haas. Yay, Niko.
I knew it would be a good day when I inadvertently caught the express train to Queens. Being a good sun, Mr. Sun hid behind clouds for most of the day. After navigating around the grounds for a bit, I found that my seat in the Arthur Ashe Stadium was a sweet one. What a blissfully blessed day it was.





0 burbles:
Post a Comment