Friday, September 07, 2007

Rummaging Through Storage

Oh. My. God. I was dripping sweat after spending two whole hours (that's one hundred twenty minutes!) rearranging the boxes in my tiny Manhattan Mini Storage storage unit. It's a small unit measuring 4' x 4' x5' and my stuff just barely squeezes into the cube. It's hard to believe that I still have more luggage and boxes sitting at my sister's and at another friend's on the Upper West Side!

My mission for the day: to extract my sunblock, eyeglasses, a few pieces of my personal stationery, a few feminine items (don't tell me that you'd throw away an entire unopened pack of pads and another of tampons if you were to move cities), and a canvas totebag. It's not a big deal to retrieve a few items, right? WRONG. To begin with, my storage locker is the top of three lockers stacked high. It's probably about 15 feet from ground level. I have to hike up a stepladder (and not look down because I'm scared of heights), unlock two locks with shaky fingers, and then squeeze my hulky frame halfway across the threshold to nimbly maneuver boxes in and out - did I mention that I'm 15 feet high while all this is happening? - and locate the proper boxes. Then opening each box while hunched over in a dark small space...it's simply not what you want to be doing on a Friday. I certainly would not recommend this activity for claustrophics or acrophobics. I think I may have cracked the front of my television set while moving around all the stuff in there. I better get my own place soon; if for nothing else, to avoid spending anymore time at my storage unit!

0 burbles:

Post a Comment