Representin'
When I heard the Phillies had made it to the World Series this year I was floored. When did they...become good again (apologies to those diehard fans who I've just offended)? I was shocked, but happy for our hometown. Then Soeur received a news blip on her Blackberry yesterday night with the amazing news that
THE PHILLIES HAD ACTUALLY WON THE WORLD SERIES.
Say what?!
For a hot second, I counted my lucky stars that last night, for that one single night, I was not a Center City resident. And then I quickly moved on and sent some love to Philly from New York wondering why, as a proper Philadelphian, I didn't own a single piece of clothing with a Philly team logo on it. I felt the rare urge to hug a Philly Fanatic plush doll, or at the very least don a bright red sweatshirt with a hoodie and take a brisk jog around the block in the 35-degree weather. Weird.
It's no secret that I miss Philadelphia. But what I don't miss? The uncontrollable nature of its passionate residents. When we won the Stanley Cup, fans started their celebrations with horn honking, screaming, drinking. The next morning showed just how much trash and litter the fans had dragged through the streets. So there was always a little part of me that wished that we wouldn't actually win another tournament, title, or trophy; because it brings out the unclassiest of the city's residents. As much as I had hoped the fans would behave last night, it looks like Philly celebrated as per usual destroying property, rolling over people's feet with their cars, and participating in general mass mayhem.
Congratulations, Philadelphia!
0 burbles:
Post a Comment