Saturday, November 01, 2008

"Boo!" From Brooklyn


Until it was unceremoniously announced in our home that Halloween was a holiday in celebration of the devil, the kids used to go trick-or-treating.  My parents neglected to see the social aspect of the night and made us turn off the lights and stay away from the windows.  (Wouldn't good active parents have thought to arrange for a fun alternative social activity for all the kids who, after years of celebrating the holiday, were suddenly banned from the night?  I mean, I don't think our parents were the only church members who forbade the celebrations.  But then again, the kids in our family were rarely a priority in the home unless the situation made it convenient.  My parents were such morons sometimes.  Whatever.)  So while I have memories of trick-or-treating in our neighborhood, a lot of the fun ended prematurely.

But now that I'm an adult (can you tell how relieved I am to be out of that hell hole called my childhood?), I can appreciate the day as little or as much as I please.  I didn't dress up, but hot diggety, that didn't stop the rest of New York!

I started my Halloween evening in Brooklyn with a little dog named Billy who magically transformed into a buzzing bumble bee.  This little guy thrives off of attention and loved loved loved the photo session.  As long as all eyes are on him, he will sit there looking pretty all day long.

And on our ride back from Brooklyn, we laughed at a lot of the costumes, but I think my favorite was a man dressed as an organic carrot stalk.  It was unique, funny, and well-executed: the guy wore a green boa as the green leafy part of the carrot.  Need I say more?



Yes, that IS a slap bracelet. Be jealous.



0 burbles:

Post a Comment