Friday, July 10, 2009

My Day


Julia made an impromptu appearance at the MoMA today. I thought it was funny that when I silently handed over my I.D. to the guy behind the audio guides station, he asked, "Which language?" Having lived in the States my entire life with my already limited Korean skills dissipating a little bit with each day that passes, it's always a little startling to be reminded by an innocent stranger that I don't look like a native English speaker. I started to respond with "Oh, French..." and as he looked at me completely floored, I offered, "English will be fine, thanks!" in my cheeriest voice. When I returned the audio guide an hour later, I didn't even need to give him my last name to retrieve my I.D. He remembered this English speaker. Do you know how many people sweep through the MoMA on a Friday afternoon??? A lot. I guess I was memorable.

/Warning: Everything below this point is pretty mundane. Read at your own risk./

The second floor exhibition featured an installation made up entirely of the contents of Chinese artist Song Dong's (b. 1966) recently deceased mother's home, including the structure of her house. This is Waste Not.



I mosied my way up to the fourth floor to Paintings and Sculptures only to find that my sandal soles had very little grip which made me one very ungraceful girl slipping and sliding all over the wooden floors.


Feeling dejected from my inability to walk without looking like I was standing in an ice rink, I promptly left the MoMA to make my way to the UWS thinking that whatever I do next should probably involve some food. While waiting for the M7, some gross old Asian man hit on me. Grossness. He was totally in my personal bubble; you know, the invisible two-feet radius surrounding my face that you should not enter unless you have other intentions? As soon as I got him to leave me alone, I swiveled around to see a beautiful reminder of Philly planted a mere twenty yards away. A LOVE statue. That brought a smile to my face and made me forget about the gross Asian dude.

Got lunch from Recipe, a new American restaurant by the chef of my favorite Thai restaurant. The grilled calamari on white beans appetizer was totally delish. The house cured salmon sandwich was tasty, but dark bread is not my favorite. Brought home a Levain cookie for dessert and now I won't be hungry for another twenty-four hours.

Returned to the UES. Stopped by the Yorkville branch of the New York Libraries and wondered why in the world, in 75-degree weather, there were so many stinky people in the library. B.O. happens - but it shouldn't happen when it's cool outside, people. Hygiene, people. Make it a priority.

Now onto make an important decision for this evening's entertainment: Robert Downey, Jr. in Iron Man or Tom Hanks in Charlie Wilson's War? Decisions, decisions...

0 burbles:

Post a Comment