Saturday, Sunday, and Today
Memorable events since my last post:
- Failure to safely deliver hot dogs and papaya juice to out-of-towners who were passing through for a wedding. I spilled the second huge cup of juice walking up Broadway. On the bright side, at least one juice and two famous Gray's Papaya hot dogs made their way safely to them.
- After bidding the above-mentioned guests farewell at the reception site, hightailing it out of Chinatown to lose some sketchy man who was following me around. With the help of a building security guard, I made my escape with no problem. The drama.
- This morning, meeting my dear Jamey for a scrumptious breakfast at Sara Beth's on 92nd & Madison. We had both heard of their famous breakfast foods before, but had no idea how enormous the portions would be, or that there would be absolutely no wait at the usually packed establishment on a summer Monday morning at 9:17 a.m. If I may, I'd like to say for the record that it is the kindest of gestures from friends to be so generous as to pick up the tab, even when they do so by violently swiping the check from the table, staring me down with fierce eyes, and uttering a firm declarative reminder that sounds a lot like "YOU'RE UNEMPLOYED, JULIA" so loudly that the dainty socialite ladies seated next to our table awkwardly glance over to see what the ruckus is all about. It's a nice feeling to be reminded of how lucky you are when you spend time with people who care about you. Then we pranced through the Guggenheim; his first visit ever, my second in a 48-hour span, and third in a month. I'm officially an addict.
- Confirming that I really cannot speak Korean. Our cousin is in town from Korea on his first visit to the States and when I answered the phone on Sunday morning, I completely blanked and couldn't even figure out how to say, "Who is this?" Thank goodness he's one of the smart cousins and can understand English. Maybe I should go to Korea and try to regain my second grade level conversational skills. "Noo goo sae yo?" A little too late, Julia.
Hey Julia,
ReplyDeleteI hope you don't take this as spam - just some guy dropping his link - but I just read your post and though you might be interested in this...
6 years ago I actually moved to Korea and at the time didn't speak a word of it. I had a hard time finding resources that explained things very well, but still hit it pretty hard and then 3 years into it, finding that there were a lot of people who were in the same position as I had been in, I decided to start teaching it. The nice part, I've been told, is that I could explain the building blocks that people needed 'cause I had come exactly from where they were. Anyways, that was 3 years ago and it's still rolling along pretty successfully.
But the point is, I've recently turned my in-class course into an online thing. And along with that, I have a blog going which I use to answer people's questions and help clear up points of confusion. After reading your post, I just thought you might like to take advantage of that, perhaps get the learning curve going again.
Also, I don't know if you can read or write Korean, but if you can't and would like to learn, there are videos taken from my in-class course, posted on the site teaching exactly that.
But either way, sorry for the long rant. But if you would like to check it out, it's at www.learnkoreanonline.net
Cheers Julia,
Rob..