Sunday, March 21, 2010

Nope. Not Wasting Food Anymore. Not Doing It.

After dropping by the Whitney {+} to take a quick look at their 75th biennial exhibition this afternoon (people, some of the stuff there is so not good for the soul.  If it's not weird, it's mighty distressing.  Case in point, the room with photographs of Middle Eastern women being treated in hospitals.  The artist's explanation noted that these women could no longer handle the abuse from their husbands or culture which is why they lit themselves on fire.  I have got to stop going back there...), I left upset and hungry.  I lingered out in the beautiful sun for a little longer and then rushed home with my growling tummy.  I used up some more frozen spinach (one of those boxes has an insane amount in there!) along with fresh produce I had on hand with two eggs (have no worries about the cholesterol).  Our oven's ok, but still crappy enough to not cook eggs evenly.  I pulled the dish from the oven onto the counter when the center was still a little wet and as it rested, the heat from the rest of the dish took care of softly cooking the center beautifully.



There's a reason why I'm eating through a box of frozen spinach.  I'm ashamed when I think about all the food that I've let spoil in my fridge over the years.  As an American, I suppose this has become a hidden privilege - to actually add "clean out fridge" on my to-do list.  If you think about it, the task of actively throwing out food is absurd.  It's not just wasteful, it's straight up despicable.  I decided to put a stop to this madness many months ago.  I'm happy to report that I have done remarkably well sticking to buying just the basics thereby minimizing any chances of food spoiling.  In February, I even vamped up my commitment and started on a mini project to eat my way through our freezer and pantry.  Since undertaking this project, I would guess that ninety-seven percent of my meals have come from my kitchen, another two percent from leftover delivery food that Soeur occasionally orders, and the other percent when I go out like once every month.  And yet, here I am more than a month into it and while the freezer is definitely making progress because frozen peas don't clatter to the floor anymore when you open the door, you should see how much food remains in the pantry.  Beans!  Tuna!  Peanut butter!  Cereals!  More beans!  

It kind of makes me throw up just a li'l wee bit when I think about how many stomachs are this close to going to bed empty every night in this city.  I'm going to get through this box of spinach and through the pantry, too.  And then I'll feel like I'm a more responsible citizen of the world.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I need to be more committed to doing the same. Have you heard of the book "Hungry Planet?" After reading it I was very committed to stop wasting food. I need to renew that commitment.

    Here are some of the photos from the book:
    http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519,00.html

    http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1645016,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos tell quite a story. It's so interesting how some families eat almost exclusively processed packaged foods and some fresh produce and meats. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this read. Thanks for the tip, Faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking of these photos while reading this entry, too. Your pantry is like a mirror.

    ReplyDelete