How I Spent The Last Three Days of My April...
...Sitting in a Centre Street courtroom praying that the jury clerk wouldn't call my name. It didn't work as well as I had hoped.
At four o'clock on the second day of my summons, I stupidly thought I was home-free when the clerk approached the mic. Surely he was going to tell us that we had fulfilled our two-day service requirement and that we could all go home. Instead, he called sixteen names for a panel. My name was number sixteen of sixteen. AT FOUR O'CLOCK. THE LAST NAME ON THE LIST. What are the chances?! We sixteen were seriously disappointed and begrudgingly returned for a third day.
God kept it real and saw to it that I wasn't selected for the jury. Whew. It's a good thing because after three days of Julia in Chinatown, I don't think there's a single bakery south of Canal Street with a cream bun left.
The one fun thing about jury duty is that I can walk home at the end of the day. I pass by an amazing plethora of unique, for lack of a better word, things. Architectural elements, buildings, colors, people, boutiques, cafes, neighborhoods, signs, street art...New York boasts an unusually high volume and concentration of uniqueness. Like this guy perched on a ledge along Houston. He greeted me on Mulberry Street every day when I worked in SoHo. It was so nice to see him again.
0 burbles:
Post a Comment