Spring - I Love Her, But She's Kicking My Butt
Lordy lord. This is my third spring season since moving to this city but the first where I'm sneezing and swollen as though a cat's rolled around on my face for an hour. It was foolish to think I had escaped the woe of seasonal allergies simply by moving a hundred miles north. Joke's on me, I guess, but being allergy-free the past few springs was quite a treat. But today I have permanent bags under my eyes and my eyes hurt. Just about the only time I feel any relief is when I'm standing under a hot shower, warm mists assuaging my nasal cavity. The tulips along Park Avenue are delightful and so are the cherry blossoms on every corner, but golly gee, this girl needs a break. Also, why does my face itch? Ick.
Let me tell you what makes me feel better: movie marathons. I've taken out a ton of films from the library and am uber excited for the Korean ones. I learned last week that I can request Korean flicks through New York Public Library's online system. Score! I'm not a fan of the gory horror suspense thrillers that the Korean cinema scene is known for, but I love me the other films they churn out. Movies mean...snack time in a very big way. Crackers! Hummus! Carrots! Coffee! Laughing Cow {+} spreadable cheese wedges! Wee! Do you know about these wedges? My sister usually has a wheel or two of these on standby in the fridge. Lately, I can't seem to get enough of the creamy buggers. I'm so gaga over them that I've lost my mind.
Case in point: Today, the maintenance guy made a return visit to take a look at our freezer that doesn't seem to like anything but ice cubes (how does a brand new refrigerator work so poorly?). I was standing there talking to Chail with a half-eaten wedge in one hand, butter knife in the other, cheese in mouth, stomach gut hanging over the jean line (this is the part that makes me say I lost my mind), complaining about the tragic number of popsicles that had been ruined by this freezer. The bare gut and all, it was truly one of my better moments. Anyway, my man Chail is supposed to be back around eight tonight. I plan on being more presentable this time around (big comfy sweatshirt is on), but I hope he shows up with good news because I am over rogue ice boxes.
I love those cheese wedges! I particularly like the garlic and herb flavor. My favorite Korean movies that I've watched recently are probably "Memories of Murder" and "My Little Bride." They're very different from each other but really good.
ReplyDeleteIf you're interested, they have some great Korean boxing movies:
ReplyDeleteCrying Fist, featuring Choi Min Sik (from Old Boy) and Champion, the story of the Korean Boxing legend, Duk Koo Kim.
Merci for the movie suggestions. I'm going to try to get my hands on these.
ReplyDeleteLast night's "May Story" (Soonji) was a bust. Chaotic and much too intense for the evening.
The last time I saw a Korean film in the theater was last spring. "Treeless Mountain" was good - plot simple, characters delicate, emotions very raw.
Still waiting for my next "Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, and Then Spring." I loved that terribly.