Thursday, September 09, 2010

Story Time

Today I sat in a sandbox

In Riverside Park {+} on the UWS

"UWS" is an acronym for a northwest neighborhood of Manhattan, Upper West Side.  Note that one never actually says "yoo-double-yoo-ess."  It's always "Upper West Side" when spoken.  Ditto for UES.

Rice paddy style, squatting on my haunches.

I was chief among a circle of kiddos shoveling sand like it was going out of style

When I felt a whisper of a trickle on my back.

And just like that

Little sand bits caught by the wind from a little child's shovel poised mid-air

Landed against my bare lower back

And skittled downwards

Into my underwears.

No amount of stomping

Shaking

Or squirming

Could coax the little buggers out of my jeans.

Note to self:

There's a reason why big girls don't play in sandboxes.

2 comments:

  1. Sand in the nether regions - been there. A relatively small cover charge for quality time with the kiddos. Nice post as usual.

    ReplyDelete