20 Minutes
Manners, you know, they can really put a damper on things when you haven't eaten since lunch nine hours earlier.
Frisee, arugula, radish, avocado, granny smith apple, dried cranberries swished with a simple lemon and olive oil.
I walked in later than usual last night, around 9:45, with the last rotisserie chicken from Fairway proudly in hand. When I had finally made my way to the new UES location more than six months after their grand opening, I was gravely insulted to find that they had sold out of roasted chickens that night. I'm still so sore about it that whenever I swing by for a couple groceries when I'm in the neighborhood, it's all I can do to not bring home a roasted bird, even if I don't want chicken that night. Or even the next. Principles, people. Don't ever say I don't have any.
Last night, though, I wanted chicken. Badly. I would have happily hunkered down and started ripping through my warm golden chicken with a pair of chopsticks the minute I hung up my coat, but I put that civilized (forgot that I said chopsticks, did you?) plan aside the minute I opened the apartment door and smelled Soeur cooking. I asked how long it would be before their dinner would be ready. Twenty minutes before the fish could be plated.
And so I suppressed my animalistic urge to tear off and nosh on a drumstick while standing in the small entryway of the kitchen as two bodies busily cooked and chopped and got their cook on. I grabbed a sweet little crayola yellow tomato for my pie hole and accepted a glass of wine. When the first dreadful twenty minutes passed, I helped myself to some cheddar from the cheese board. And then a cracker. And then some more cheese.
According to the time stamp on this photo, twenty turned out to be closer to forty-eight. But no big deal! A prettily plated salad appeared and quietly took its place to the right of my glass that contained a golden-hued wine that I actually liked. That's never happened before, me liking a wine! (Ok, maybe once, late this past fall, a red number from the same vineyard as last night's, according to Soeur.) The oddest things happen when dinner's served after 10:30.
0 burbles:
Post a Comment