Thursday, February 23, 2012

Can You See Me?

I didn't realize it at the time because I didn't know that I'd capture our reflection along with the ridiculously colorful little cupcakes, but this shot, with our images reflected on the display case, this is probably the last photo I'll ever take of myself and my friend on what will go down in history as the last full day we hang out together, just the two of us, exclusively, before she formally takes on the responsibilities that come with starting her own family.  She'll be married by year's end.  Life will happen.  We'll never live in the same city (well, maybe if someone decides to just hand me a second home where she lives, then, ok, I guess anything's possible).  One-on-one time opportunities will be fewer and farther between than it is even now when just one of us has a significant other and neither of us have children.  I can only imagine what it will be like when any of this changes.

So, it is my prediction that if we ever find ourselves standing in front of an enormous cupcake counter together again, it's likely that there will also be the small hands of her offspring smacking the glass between said child and treat.  Because let's face it.  These treats are the epitome of fun, and what kid in his right mind wouldn't demand one immediately upon seeing the display?

Standing in front of what must be the world's cheeriest collection of itty bitty cupcakes.
Union Square, 19 February 2012

2 comments:

  1. love this.
    poignantly true. I'm livin' it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such is the way of growing up, I suppose.

      Delete