Oh, Betty
I found this on the table when I got home today.

Eh, my nightstand will make do with whatever replacement lamp I find.
Soeur has been pining for a cleaning lady for years now. Every time she'd bring it up, I'd respond with, are we really that lazy that we can't clean our own toilet? Two able-bodied young women who can't run a duster over furniture every now and again in a teeny tiny apartment? Are we really so busy that we can't Windex a window once in a while?
As it turns out, we can't. Or, at least, I just don't. At least not as often as my sister would like. So I finally gave in.
Every other week, Betty comes by. By far, her greatest contribution to the state of the apartment is Swiffering the heck out of our floors. It feels luxurious to walk around on floors without picking up dust on the undersides of your feet. Try it sometime. I highly recommend it.
We still spot clean between Betty's visits. We have to. Dust accumulates in here like nobody's business. I think it's because we're in the city. Also, since Soeur's been dating this guy, she is seriously committed to keeping the place clean. He's here on weekends which means every Thursday night, she turns on her engines and starts doing things she typically only does once or twice a year (and when she does, it's on a whim, no less, not out of necessity). Like taking the trash out. Like putting her clothes away. Like cleaning the bathroom mirrors. Like scrubbing the toilet. I will say this: since I moved to New York, I've been the sole purchaser and user of Lysol Bowl Cleaner. This is my fifth year here. And now all of a sudden she busts out natural Method cleaning products and - wait for it - actually USES them.
I still hold my breath every time she starts flitting around with her spray bottles. Your guess is as good as mine on how long this newly discovered energy for housework will last. I've seen this happen before, but it's never lasted nearly as long. So I'm writing it down here, in hopes that it'll last freaking FOREVER.
0 burbles:
Post a Comment