Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Still Smiling I Am


Wee!!!  Two glorious casserole dishes of my first homemade batch of Magnolia Bakery's banana pudding are currently nestling side-by-side on the bottom shelf of my icebox.  Nilla wafers, pudding, and bananas are gettin' busy in the fridge.  They best be gettin' their lovin' on because I will be impossibly broken if this turns out tasting like bunk.

Soeur brought home Magnolia's largest container of this magical stuff last year {+}.  It was with much merriment that I snarfed down the rest of what our guests didn't finish in the span of just a few days after the dinner party.  You have to take my word for it: This stuff is crack in dairy form.  It's terrible for you, but it makes you feel so damned good, you just can't stop.

Today was a big day.  I bit a bullet that should take off some of the weight on my back.  It felt good.  And now?  It's puddin' time!  It's setting overnight so I need to exercise some patience, but in the meantime, I'm still smiling.  I wish I could send all you non-locals a tupperware of the goodness.  Because the pudding alone is celebration-worthy.

Magnolia Bakery's Banana Pudding Recipe

1 14-oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups ice cold water
1 3.4-oz. package of instant Jell-O vanilla pudding mix
3 cups heavy cream
1 12-oz. box Nabisco Nilla Wafers
6 ripe bananas, sliced

Beat together the condensed milk and water until well combined, about one minute. Add the pudding mix and beat well, about 2 minutes more. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight, to let pudding set.

Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the pudding mixture into the whipped cream until well blended and no streaks of pudding remain.

Time to assemble. There will be three layers. Arrange a third of the wafers to cover the bottom of the bowl, then a third of the bananas, and a third of the pudding. Repeat twice. If you have leftover wafers, crumble and sprinkle on top of top layer. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set in fridge for 4 hours (up to 8 hours, but no longer). Serve.

1 comment:

  1. That must be some pudding! Now I will have to try it and see if happiness ensues!

    ReplyDelete