Thursday, January 06, 2011

Look At Those Beautiful Mugs

On the occasion of her 29th, Soeur and some of her friends obediently stood hip-to-hip and delightfully hammed it up for the camera.  Had I been friendly with the self-timer feature, Tom would have made it in the shot, too.

Winter Solstice 2010, New York City

That night was a blur but I do know one thing for sure: I like to assemble hors d'oeuvres.  I could spend all night in a kitchen hovering with chopsticks mid-air over miniature bites of one thing or another.  I hadn't done it since my catering days, one of my bajillion jobs in college, and had forgotten how much I enjoy seeing dainty colorful bits of food sitting pretty on clean white plates.  I know it's a little weird, but just know that it speaks kindly to the inner anal within.

For the sake of not forgetting, let's go over the spread, a whole lot of little noshes along with the usual suspects like cheese and fruit et al.  There were bacon-wrapped dates, spanikopita, pesto cannellini bean crostini, red pepper and eggplant spread crostini, and smoked salmon on black pepper chips.  And a whole lot of wine.  Thank goodness Nancy brought Magnolia cupcakes because I didn't prepare cake.  I made pumpkin mousse instead.  Note to self: birthday celebrations require cake in one form or another even if the birthday girl expresses no interest.  Otherwise, it's LAME.  A candle makes it nicer, too.

1 comment:

  1. Description of the spread, but no pictures!

    Ahhh, what torture...

    ReplyDelete